District History and Background
The Widefield Water & Sanitation District (District) is located in El Paso County, Colorado. The District is a political subdivision of the State of Colorado and a body corporate with all the powers of a public or quasi-municipal entity.
Widefield Homes Water Company, organized as a Colorado corporation on June 14, 1979, provided water and wastewater services to the area until being converted to a District. The District was formed on May 17, 1996 to provide water and wastewater service to the public within the service area.
At the time of the District’s creation in May 1996, the water service area consisted of about 2,250 acres and served approximately 4,800 accounts. The wastewater service area consisted of about 2,400 acres and served approximately 5,400 accounts.
Water and wastewater service is provided to unincorporated areas of El Paso County (Widefield and Security communities) and the City of Fountain. The District provides service to accounts with both water & wastewater, water only, and wastewater only.
The District’s customer base is primarily residential, representing 98% of all accounts. The remaining 2% of accounts are commercial. There are no industrial accounts within the District. Occasionally, wholesale water is provided to a neighboring agency. A population of about 16,000 is served within the water boundaries. For wastewater, a population of about 21,700 is served. At the end of 2008, the District served about 5,900 water accounts and about 6,650 wastewater accounts.
Since formation of the District, the service areas of water and wastewater have each increased. The increased acreage resulted from the development areas of Cradlan Property (water & wastewater), Lorson Ranch (water & wastewater), Southpark Tech Center (wastewater), Mesa Ridge (water), and Rolling Hills (water & wastewater) being added to the District. The District anticipates 19,000 new homes will be built in these areas.
With the development additions, the water service area increased by 4,366 acres, bringing the total water service area acreage to about 6,616 acres. The wastewater service area has increased by 4,042 acres, bringing the total wastewater service area to about 6,442 acres.